Main Article Content
Employee engagement is a physical and psychological condition related to work cognitively, emotionally, and behavior to achieve the goals of the organization. The purpose of writing this review article is to summarize and discuss employee engagement as an effort factor in improving work performance within the organization. The method used is a literature review, which is a literature review search for both international journals and national journals between 2013 – 2020 as many as 15 journal articles from the results of previous research. The results of the literature review show that employee engagement has an influence on individual work performance so that organizational goals can be achieved.
Employee engagement work performance organization
How to Cite
Satata, D. B. M. (2021). Employee Engagement as An Effort to Improve Work Performance: Literature Review. Ilomata International Journal of Social Science, 2(1), 41-49. https://doi.org/10.52728/ijss.v2i1.152
- Adrianto & Riyanto, S. (2020). The effect of organizational commitment, employee engagement, and organizational citizenship behavior on employee performance at pt. titan infra energy - head office. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 25 (1) 22 – 31. DOI: 10.9790/0837-2501092231
- Alderfer C. P. (1969). An empirical test of new theory of human need. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance. 4 (1) 142 – 175.
- Alqarni, S. A. Y. (2016). Quality of work life as a predictor of work engagement among the teaching. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 6 (8) 118 – 135.
- Anitha, J. (2014). Determinants of employee engagement and their impact on employee performance. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 63 (3) 308 – 323. https://doi. org/10. 1108/IJPPM-01-2013-0008
- Azizah, A. & Gustomo, A. (2015). The influence of employee engagement to employee performance at pt telkom bandung. Journal of Business and Management. 4 (7) 817 – 829.
- Bakker, A. B., & Demerouti, E. (2007). The job demands-resources model: Stateof the art. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 22 (3) 309 – 328. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940710733115
- Bakker, A. B, Schaufeli, W. B, Leiter, M. P, & Taris, T. W. (2008). Work engagement: An emerging concept in occupational health psychology. Work and Stress. 22 (3) 187 – 200. doi:10.1080/02678370802393649
- Bakker, A. B., Demerouti, E., & Sanz-Vergel, A. I. (2014). Burnout and work engagement: the JD–R approach. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior. 1, 389 – 411. doi: 10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-031413-091235
- Biron, M., & Boon, C. (2013). Performance and turnover intentions: A social exchange perspective. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 28, 511 – 531.
- Burke, R. J., Astakhova, M. N., & Hang, H. (2015). Work Passion Through the Lens of Culture: Harmonious Work Passion, Obsessive Work Passion, and Work Outcomes in Russia and China. Journal of Business and Psychology. 30 (3) 457 – 471. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-017-9500-2
- Caesen, G., Stinglhamber, F., & Marmier, V. (2014). The curvilinear effect of work engagement on employees’ turnover intentions. International Journal of Psychology. 1 – 6. DOI: 10.1002/ijop.12131
- Cesario, F. & Chambel, M. J. (2017). Knowledge and Process Management. Published online in Wiley Online Library. DOI: 10.1002/kpm.1542
- Dajani, M. A. Z. (2015). The impact of employee engagement on job performance and organisational commitment in the egyptian banking sector. Journal of Business and Management Sciences. 3 (5) 138 – 147. DOI:10.12691/jbms-3-5-1
- Demerouti, E. and Cropanzano, R. (2010). From thought to action: employee work engagement and job performance, in Bakker, A.B. and Leiter, M.P. (Eds). Work Engagement: A Handbook of Essential Theory and Research. Psychology Press. Hove. 147-163.
- Farndale, E., & Murrer, I. (2015). Job resources and employee engagement: a cross-national study. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 30, 610 – 626. doi:10.1108/jmp-09-2013-0318
- García-Carbonell, N., Martín-Alcázar, F., & Sanchez-Gardey, G. (2018). Determinants of building consistent human resources management systems: A focus on internal communication. International Journal of Manpower. 39 (3) 354 – 377. https://doi.org/10.1108/ IJM-06-2016-0140
- Garg, K., Dar, I. A. & Mishra, M. (2018). Job satisfaction and work engagement: a study using private sector bank managers. Advances in Developing Human Resources. 20 (1) 58 – 71. tps://doi.org/10.1177/1523422317742987
- Ghuman, K. (2016). A prognostic examination of functional and emotional employee engagement drivers and their impact on employee performance. Business Review. 5 (2) 78 – 87.
- Gupta, M., Acharya, A. & Gupta, R. (2015). Impact of work engagement on performance Indian higher education system. Review of European Studies. 7 (3) 192 – 201. doi:10.5539/res.v7n3p192
- Hakanen, J. J., & Schaufeli, W. B. (2012). Do burnout and work engagement predict depressive symptoms and life satisfaction? A three-wave seven-year prospective study. Journal of Affective Disorders. 141, 415 – 424. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2012.02.043
- Ho, V., Wong, S., & Lee, C. H. (2011). A Tale of Passion: Linking Job Passion and Cognitive Engagement to Employee Work Performance.Management Faculty Publications. 48, 1 – 41.
- Ismail, H. N., Iqbal, A., & Nasr, L. (2018). Employee engagement and job performance in Lebanon: the mediating role of creativity. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 68 (3) 506 – 523. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-02-2018-0052
- Jeung, C. W. (2011). The concept of employee engagement: A comprehensive review from a positive organizational behavior perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly. 24, 4969. doi:10.1002/piq.20110
- Johnson, K. R., Park, S., & Bartlett, K. R. (2018). Perceptions of customer service orientation, training, and employee engagement in Jamaica’s hospitality sector. European Journal of Training and Development. 42 (3/4) 191 – 209. doi:10.1108/ejtd-11-2017-0094
- Kahn, W. A. (1990). Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work. Academy of Management Journal. 33 (4) 692 – 724.
- Karatepe, O. M. (2013). High-performance work practices and hotel employee performance: The mediation of work engagement. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 32, 132 – 140.
- Kim, W., Kolb, J. A. & Kim, T. (2013). The relationship between work engagement and performance: A review of empirical literature and a proposed research agenda. Human Resource Development Review. 12, 248 – 276. doi: 10.1177/1534484312461635.
- Kim, W., Kim, J., Woo, H., Park, J., Jo, J., Park, S. & Lim, S. Y. (2017). The Relationship Between Work Engagement and Organizational Commitment: Proposing Research Agendas Through a Review of Empirical Literature. Human Resource Development Review. 1 – 27. DOI: 10.1177/1534484317725967
- Kim, W., Han, S. J. & Park, J. (2019). Is the role of work engagement essential to employee performance or ‘nice to have’? Sustainability. 11, 1050. doi:10.3390/su11041050
- Lazauskaite-Zabielske, J., Urbanaviciute, I. & Balsiene, R, R. (2018). From psychosocial working environment to good performance: the role of work engagement. Baltic Journal of Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/BJM-10-2017-0317
- Lee, Y., Kwon, K., Kim, W., & Cho, D. (2016). Work engagement and career: Proposing research agenda through a review of literature. Human Resource Development Review. 15, 29-54. doi:10.1177/153448431662835
- Maslow, A. H. (1943). A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review. 50, 370 – 396.
- McClelland, D. C. (1990). Human motivation. Cambridge UK. Cambridge University Press.
- Mercurio, Z. A. (2015). Affective commitment as a core essence of organizational commitment: An integrative literature review. Human Resource Development Review. 14, 389414. doi:10.1177/1534484315603612
- Mokaya, S. O., & Kipyegon, M. J. (2014). Determinants of Employee Engagement in the Banking Industry in Kenya: Case of Cooperative Bank. Journal of Human Resources. 2 (2), 187 – 200.
- Ngwenya, B. & Pelser, T. (2020). Impact of psychological capital on employee engagement, job satisfaction and employee performance in the manufacturing sector in Zimbabwe. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology. 46 (0) 1 – 12. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajip.v46i0.1781
- Othman, S. A. & Mahmood, N. H. N. (2019). Linking employee engagement towards individual work performance through human resource management practice: from high potential employee’s perspectives. Management Science Letters. 9, 1083 – 1092. doi: 10.5267/j.msl.2019.3.016
- Saks, A. M., & Gruman, J. A. (2014). What do we really know about employee engagement? Human Resource Development Quarterly. 25, 155 – 182. doi:10.1002/hrdq.21187
- Schaufeli, W. B., Bakker, A. B., & Salanova, M. (2006). The measurement of work engagement with a short questionnaire: A cross-national study. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 66, 701 – 716. doi:10.1177/0013164405282471
- Sekhar, C., Patwardhan, M., & Vyas, V. (2017). Linking work engagement to job performance through flexible human resource management. Advances in Developing Human. 1 – 16. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422317743250.
- Sendawula, K., Kiwuli, S. N., Bananuka, J. & Muganga, G. N. (2018). Training, employee engagement and employee performance: Evidence from Uganda’s health sector. Cogent Business & Management. 5, 1 – 12. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2018.1470891
- Shuck, B., & Wollard, K. (2010). Employee engagement and HRD: A seminal review of the foundations. Human Resource Development Review. 9, 89 – 110. doi:10.1177/1534484309353560
- Sofiah, D & Kurniawan, G. Hubungan self efficacy dengan work engagement pada karyawan. Jurnal Fenomena. 28 (1) 54 – 61. DOI: 10.30996/fn.v28i1.2641.
- Stimpson, P., & Smith, A. (2011). Business and Management for the IB Diploma. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Pang, K., & Lu, C.S. (2018). Organizational motivation, employee job satisfaction and organizational performance: An empirical study of container shipping companies in Taiwan. Maritime Business Review. 3 (1) 36 – 52.
- Purba, S. D., & Ananta, A. N. D. (2018). The effects of work passion, work engagement and job satisfaction on turn over intention of the millennial generation. Jurnal Manajemen dan Pemasaran. 11 (2) 263 – 274. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.25105/jmpj.v11i2.2954
- Rashid, S. & Azhar, M. A. (2015). Employee engagement: a qualitative research on critical factors within malaysia’s sme businesses. First Asia Pacific Conference on Contemporary Research. 54 – 65.
- Rich, B. L., Lepine, J. A., & Crawford, E. R. (2010). Job engagement: Antecedents and effects on job performance. Academy of Management Journal. 53, 617 – 635. doi:10.5465/ AMJ.2010.51468988
- Wang, C. & Chen, H. (2019). Relationship among workplace incivility, work engagement and job performance. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism. DOI 10.1108/JHTI-09-2019-0105
- Xiao, M. L., & Duan, L. (2014). Job engagement of employees in state-owned enterprises: Construct clarification and scale development. Organizational management. 1, 35 – 41. http://dx.doi.org/10.16471/j.cnki.11-2822/c.2014.01.017
- Yeh, C. M. (2013). Tourism involvement, work engagement and job satisfaction among frontline hotel employees. Annals of Tourism Research. 42, 214-239. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2013.02.002
- Yousef, D. A. (2017). Organizational commitment, job satisfaction and attitudes toward organizational change: a study in the local government. International Journal of Public Administration. 40 (1) 77 – 88. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2015.1072217