Main Article Content
The millennials, as other generations, has their own characteristics that can be seen from their traits, habits, lifestyle, and nature which due to those attributes can lead to different expectations from others. This research aims to understand and analyse the effect of sense of place towards social capital on millenials in a semi-urban city. The population of this study is the Millennial generation in Padang aged 19 to 38 years with a total population of 425,053 people. The number of samples was determined using the formulation proposed by Slovin (1960), namely 400 respondents from various backgrounds, ages, education, domicile, profession, and income were involved. Based on the result of hypothesis testing, it was found that sense of place has a positive and significant influence towards social capital. This research is expected to carry a positive contribution to the dynamics, issues, and problems of millennials related to sense of place and social capital, especially in a semi-urban city in developing countries.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Acedo, A., Painho, M., & Casteleyn, S. (2017). Place and City: Operationalizing Sense of Place and Social Capital in the Urban Context. Transactions in GIS, 21(3), 503–520. https://doi.org/10.1111/tgis.12282
- Acedo, A., Santa, F., Painho, M., & Henriques, R. (2018). Do People Develop Activities at Places in Which Citizens Have a Sense of Place? Geospatial Technologies for All: Short Papers, Posters, and Poster Abstracts of the 21th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, 1–6.
- Adler, P. S., & Kwon, S.-W. (2002). Social Capital: Prospects for a New Concept. The Academy of Management Review, 27(1), 17–40.
- Azizi, F., & Shekari, F. (2018). Modeling the Relationship between Sense of Place, Social Capital and Tourism Support. Iranian Journal of Management Studies, 11(3), 547–572. https://doi.org/10.22059/ijms.2018.252073.673018
- Baum, F., & Palmer, C. (2002). Opportunity Structures: Urban Landscape, Social Capital and Health Promotion in Australia. Health Promotion International, 17(4), 351–361. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/17.4.351
- Coleman, J. S. . (1988). Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital. The American Journal of Sociology, 94, S95–S120.
- Dale, A., Ling, C., & Newman, L. (2008). Does Place Matter? Sustainable Community Development in Three Canadian Communities. Ethics, Place and Environment, 11(3), 267–281. https://doi.org/10.1080/13668790802559676
- Debertin, D., & Goetz, S. (2013). Social Capital Formation in Rural, Urban and Suburban Communities. Staff Papers.
- Deutsch, K., Yoon, S. Y., & Goulias, K. (2013). Modeling Travel Behavior and Sense of Place Using a Structural Equation Model. Journal of Transport Geography, 28, 155–163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2012.12.001
- Fistola, R. (2011). Procedia Engineering The Unsustainable City. Urban Entropy and Social Capital: The Needing of a New Urban Planning. 21, 976–984. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2102
- Fukuyama, F. (1999). Social Capital and Civic Society. In Democratic Phoenix. https://doi.org/10.1017/cbo9780511610073.011
- Glenane-Antoniadis, A., Whitwell, G., Bell, S. J., & Menguc, B. (2003). Extending the Vision of Social Marketing through Social Capital Theory - Marketing in the Context of Intricate Exchange and Market Failure. Marketing Theory, 3(3), 323–343. https://doi.org/10.1177/147059310333002
- Gustafson, P. (2001). Meanings of place: Everyday experience and theoretical conceptualizations. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 21(1), 5–16. https://doi.org/10.1006/jevp.2000.0185
- Hair, J. F. J., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). In Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling (2nd ed.). Sage Publications, Inc. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Hamdan, H., Yusof, F., & Marzukhi, M. A. (2014). Social Capital and Quality of Life in Urban Neighborhoods High Density Housing. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 153, 169–179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.10.051
- Hashemnezhad, H., Heidari, A. A., & Hoseini, P. M. (2013). Sense of Place and Place Attachment (A Comparative Study). International Journal of Architecture and Urban Development, 3(1), 5–12.
- Hausmann, A., Slotow, R., Burns, J. K., & Di Minin, E. (2016). The Ecosystem Service of Sense of Place: Benefits for Human Well-Being and Biodiversity Conservation. Environmental Conservation, 43(2), 117–127. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0376892915000314
- Ishak, S. S. M., Esa, M., & Ismail, M. H. (2017). Social Capital, Social Network and Diffusion of BIM Practices. Proceeding of the 33 Annual ARCOM Conference, September, 73–82.
- Jorgensen, B. S., & Stedman, R. C. (2001). Sense of Place as an Attitude: Lakeshore Owners Attitudes Toward Their Properties. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 21(3), 233–248. https://doi.org/10.1006/jevp.2001.0226
- Kapucu, N. (2011). Social Capital and Civic Engagement. International Journal of Social Inquiry, 4(1), 23–43.
- Kopec, D. (2012). Psychology for Design Second Edition Extended Contents. 361.
- Lebedeva, N., Osipova, E., & Cherkasova, L. (2013). Values and Social Capital as Predictors of Attitudes Towards Innovation. Search Working Paper, January.
- Masterson, V. A., Stedman, R. C., Enqvist, J., Tengo, M., Giusti, M., Wahl, D., & Svedin, U. (2017). The Contribution of Sense of Place to Social-Ecological Systems Research: A Review and Research Agenda. Ecology and Society, 22(1). https://doi.org/10.5751/ES-08872-220149
- Moayedi, M., & Kheiruddin, R. (2014). Reviewing and Redefining the Role of Social Capital in Achieving Sustainable Cities: Strengthening Citizen Participation in Energy Conservation. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences, 3(4), 289–300.
- Mpanje, D., Gibbons, P., & McDermott, R. (2018). Social Capital in Vulnerable Urban Settings: An Analytical Framework. Journal of International Humanitarian Action, 3(4), 1–14.
- Najafi, M., & Shariff, M. K. B. M. (2011). The Concept of Place and Sense of Place in Architectural Studies. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 5(8), 1054–1060.
- Padang, B. P. S. K. (2018). Kota Padang Dalam Angka 2018. In BPS. Padang. Badan Pusat Statistik Kota Padang.
- Putnam, R. D. (1994). Project Report Social Capital and Public Affairs. Buletin of the American Academy of Arts and Science, 47(8), 5–19.
- Putnam, R. D. (2000). Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community. Simon & Schuster.
- Putra, H. O. A., Taifur, W. D., Games, D., & Handra, H. (2022). Social capital, diffusion of innovation and political engagement: views of millennials. International Journal of Sustainable Society, 14(1), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSSOC.2022.122098
- Setyobudi, I. (2001). Menari di antara Sawah dan Kota: Ambiguitas Diri, Petani-petani Terakhir di Yogyakarta. IndonesiaTera.
- Shmuel, S., Ali, S., Dennis, G., Nadim, C., Halil, E., & Zinaida, I. (2018). Identity and Sense of Place of Ghajar Residents Living in Border Junction of Syria, Israel and Lebanon. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 8(4–1), 61–72. https://doi.org/10.2478/mjss-2018-0074
- Smith, A., Phillipson, C., & Scharf, T. (2002). Social Capital: Concepts, Measures and the Implications for Urban Communities. In Centre for Social Gerontology Working Paper No 9 (Issue 9).
- Timmerman, K. (2015). Florida State University Libraries Millennials and Home: Understanding the Needs of the Millennial Generation in Their Living Environment. Florida State University.
- Tuan, Y. F. (1975). Place: An Existential Perspective. The Geographical Review, 65(2), 151–165. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Wang, Y. B., & Ho, C. W. (2017). No Money? No Problem! The Value of Sustainability: Social Capital Drives the Relationship Among Customer Identification and Citizenship Behavior in Sharing Economy. Sustainability (Switzerland), 9(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/su9081400
- Woolcock, M., & Narayan, D. (2000). Social Capital: Implications for Development Theory, Research, and Policy. The World Bank Research Observer, 17(2), 225–249. https://doi.org/10.1093/wbro/15.2.225
- Zheng, J., Wu, G., & Xie, H. (2017). Impacts of Leadership on Project-Based Organizational Innovation Performance: The Mediator of Knowledge Sharing and Moderator of Social Capital. Sustainability (Switzerland), 9(1893), 1–22. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9101893