Main Article Content
The implementation of performance appraisal is widespread, and it is a significant tool by which organizations can maximize the potential of human resources. The purpose of this study is to investigate how performance appraisal affect employee’s job satisfaction and organizational behavior. The methodology used for this research is a qualitative-library research, entailing the data collections and analyses from published resources such as books, journals, and internet databases. Based on the results, it was found that the experience of a positive performance appraisal raises not only workers’ sense of accomplishment but also self-worth and fosters the trust in the legitimacy process. Furthermore, appraisal assists employee retention by highlighting the company's dedication to address their requirements and support the development. In order to increase job satisfaction and organizational behavior, the study emphasizes the values of giving feedback to employees, defining goals, encouraging employee involvement, and carrying out efficient performance appraisal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Agarwal, R. N., & Mehta, A. (2014). Impact of Performance Appraisal and Working Environment on the Job Satisfaction and Attrition Problem in the Indian IT Industry. SAGE Publications, 18(1) 73–85. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1177/0971890714540367
- Armstrong, M., & Baron, A. (2005). Managing performance: performance management in action. Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Arnold, Hugh, J., & Feldman, Daniel, C. (1982). A multivariate analysis of the determinants of job turnover. Journal of Applied Psychology, 67 (3)(3), 350–360.
- Behrman, D. N., Bigoness, W. J., & Perreault, W. D. (1981). Sources of Job Related Ambiguity and Their Consequences Upon Salespersons’ Job Satisfaction and Performance. Management Science, 27(11), 1246–1260. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.27.11.1246
- Bjerke, D. G., Cleveland, J. N., Morrison, R. F., & Wilson, W. C. (1987). Officer Fitness Report Evaluation Study. DEFENSE TECHNICAL INFORMATION CENTER, November. https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA189377
- Brown, M., Hyatt, D., & Benson, J. (2010). Consequences of the performance appraisal experience. Personnel Review, 39(3), 375–396. https://doi.org/10.1108/00483481011030557
- Browning, V. (2006). The relationship between HRM practices and service behaviour in South African service organizations. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17(7), 1321–1338. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190600756863
- Daoanis, L. E. (2012). PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM: It’s Implication To Employee Performance. International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, 2(3), 5562.
- Denning, S. (2001). Incentives for knowledge management.
- Dizgah, M. R., Mehrdad, ;, Chegini, G., & Bisokhan, ; Roghayeh. (2012). Relationship between Job Satisfaction and Employee Job Performance in Guilan Public Sector. J. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res, 2(2), 1735–1741. www.textroad.com
- Douglas, S. (2010). Growing the Corporate Culture. Wells Fargo. https://www.wachovia.com/foundation/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ab411f07760aa110VgnV CM1000004b0d1872
- Fakhimi, F., & Raisy, A. (2013). Satisfaction with performance appraisal from the employees’ perspective and its behavioral outcomes (case study of headquarters offices of Bank Refah). European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences, 2(3), 296–305. www.european-science.com
- Fletcher, C. (2001). Performance appraisal and management: The developing research agenda. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 74(4), 473–487. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317901167488
- FRIED, Y., & FERRIS, G. R. (1987). the Validity of the Job Characteristics Model: a Review and Meta‐Analysis. Personnel Psychology, 40(2), 287–322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1987.tb00605.x
- Fugate, M., Kinicki, A. J., & Prussia, G. E. (2008). Employee coping with organizational change: An examination of alternative theoretical perspectives and models. Personnel Psychology, 61(1), 1–36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2008.00104.x
- Fulk, H. K., Bell, R. L., & Bodie, N. (2011). Team management by objectives: enhancing developing teams’ performance. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 12(3), 17–26. http://ezproxy.lib.ucf.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/876866547?accountid=10003%5Cnhttp://sfx.fcla.edu/ucf?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal&genre=article&sid=ProQ:ProQ:abiglobal&atitle=Team+Management+by+Objec
- Gerhart, B. (2005). Rainer Hampp Verlag Human Resources and Business Performance: Findings, Unanswered Questions, and an. JSTOR, 16(2), 174–185.
- Ghosh, S., & Vijayaragavan, K. (2003). Performance appraisal climate of organizations: An influencing factor for overall job satisfaction of extension personnel. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 9(1), 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1080/13892240385300031
- Green, F. (2004). Work Intensification , Discretion , and the Decline in Well-Being at Work Author ( s ): Francis Green Published by : Palgrave Macmillan Journals Stable URL : http://www.jstor.org/stable/40326152 WORK INTENSIFICATION , DISCRETION , AND THE. Eastern Economic Journal, 30(4), 615–625.
- Griffin, R. W., & Moorhead, G. (2011). Organizational Behavior. Cengage Learning. https://books.google.co.id/books/about/Organizational_Behavior.html?id=pRUgGzDn3DoC&redir_esc=y
- Harter, J. K., Schmidt, F. L., & Hayes, T. L. (2002). Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(2), 268–279. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.2.268
- Hemans, S., & Abena, S. (2011). The Effefectiveness of Performance Appraisal as a Tool for Enhancing Employee Performance in the Public Health Sector. Global Management Journal, 3.
- Honiball, G. F. (2018). Managers’ perceptions of the relationship between Spirituality and work performance. Unpublished MBA Thesis. South Africa: University of South Africa, 3(1), 10–27. https://medium.com/@arifwicaksanaa/pengertian-use-case-a7e576e1b6bf
- Hung, J. H., Yang, T. H., Hu, Z., Weng, Z., & DeLisi, C. (2012). Gene set enrichment analysis: Performance evaluation and usage guidelines. Briefings in Bioinformatics, 13(3), 281–291. https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbr049
- Ismail, A., Asilah, N., Mohamed, K., & Rayee, M. R. (2017). Relationship between performance appraisal communication, procedural justice and job satisfaction. Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 12(2), 15–26.
- Joo, B., & Park, S. (2010). Career satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention: The effects of goal orientation, organizational learning culture and developmental feedback. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 31(6), 482–500. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437731011069999
- Kasemsap, K. (2018). The role of total quality management practices on quality performance. IRMA International, 996–1027. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-3909-4.ch046
- Kersley, B., Alpin, C., J., F., Bryson, A., Bewley, H., Dix, G., & Oxenbridge, S. (2013). Inside the workplace: findings from the 2004 Workplace Employment Relations Survey. Routledge.
- Komal Khalid Bhatti, & Tahir Masood Qureshi. (2007). Impact Of Employee Participation On Job Satisfaction, Employee Commitment And Employee Productivity. International Review of Business Research Papers, 3(2), 54–68.
- Latham, G. P. (2017). Motivate Employee Performance through Goal-setting. The Blackwell Handbook of Principles of Organizational Behaviour, 109–124. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405164047.ch8
- Lee, C. H., & Bruvold, N. T. (2003). Creating value for employees: Investment in employee development. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14(6), 981–1000. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519032000106173
- Lee, M. C. (2010). The analytic hierarchy and the network process in multicriteria decision making: Performance evaluation and selecting key performance indicators based on ANP model. Convergence and Hybrid Information Technologies.
- Longenecker, C., Henry P. Sims, J., & Gioia, D. A. (1990). Ethical dilemmas in performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 3(4), 327–333. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00382835
- Martin, T. N., Price, J. L., & Mueller, C. W. (1981). Job performance and turnover. Journal of Applied Psychology, 66(1), 116–119. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.66.1.116
- Messah, O. B., & Kamencu, S. M. (2011). The Effect of Performance Appraisal Systems on Employees in Kenya Tea Development Agency: A Survey of Selected Tea Factories in Meru County-Kenya. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 2(3), 16–34. http://iiste.org/Journals/index.php/RJFA/article/view/324
- Mobley, W. H. (1977). Intermediate linkages in the relationship between job satisfaction and employee turnover. Journal of Applied Psychology, 62(2), 237–240. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.62.2.237
- Mondy, R. W., & Mondy, J. B. (2012). Human Resource Management. Prentice Hall.
- Murphy, K. R., & Cleveland, J. N. (1991). Performance appraisal: An organizational perspective. Allyn & Bacon.
- Paauwe, J., & Boon, C. (2018). Human Resource Management. Routledge. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781315299556-3/strategic-hrm-jaap-paauwe-corine-boon
- Patz, A. L. (1975). Performance appraisal: Useful but still resisted. Harvard Business Review.
- Paul, A. K., & Anantharaman, R. N. (2003). Impact of people management practices on organizational performance: Analysis of a causal model. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14(7), 1246–1266. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519032000145648
- Payne, S. C., & Huffman, A. H. (2005). A longitudinal examination of the influence of mentoring on organizational commitment and turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 48(1), 158–168. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.15993166
- Pettijohn, C., Pettijohn, L. S., Taylor, A. J., & Keillor, B. D. (2001). Are performance appraisals a bureaucratic exercise or can they be used to enhance sales-force satisfaction and commitment? Psychology and Marketing, 18(4), 337–364. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.1011
- Prasad, D. (2015). Performance appraisal: An empirical study to understand job satisfaction and motivation of personnel through the system. International Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2(4), 118–125. https://media.neliti.com/media/publications/257937-performance-appraisal-an-empirical-study-10a8c371.pdf
- Pulakos, E. D., Hanson, R. M., Arad, S., & Moye, N. (2015). Performance management can be fixed: An on-the-job experiential learning approach for complex behavior change. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 8(1), 51–76. https://doi.org/10.1017/iop.2014.2
- Rasch, L. (2004). Employee performance appraisal and the 95/5 rule. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 28(5), 407–414. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668920490444436
- Robbins, S. P. (2005). Organizational Behavior. Pearson Prentice Hall. https://books.google.co.id/books/about/Organizational_Behavior.html?id=qYtxQgAACAAJ&redir_esc=y
- Sapra, N. (2012). MPACT OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL ON EMPLOYEES ATTITUDE. IJRIM, 2(4), 23–28. https://doi.org/ISSN 2231-4334
- Stroul, N. A. (1987). Whither Performance Appraisal? Training and Development Journal.
- Suliman, A. M. T. (2001). Work performance: is it one thing or many things?: the multidimensionality of performance in a Middle Eastern context. Taylor and Francis. http://hdl.voced.edu.au/10707/75460
- Van der Linde, E. (2005). The relationship between personality traits and work performance of call centre agents. University of South Africa, November, 171–181. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2019.01.17
- Vigoda, E. (2000). Organizational Politics, Job Attitudes, and Work Outcomes: Exploration and Implications for the Public Sector. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 57(3), 326–347. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1742
- Wahjono, S. I., Marina, A., Perumal, S. D. A., & Wardhana, A. (2016). The Impact of Performance Appraisal on Job Satisfaction with Quality of Supervisor-Employee as a Moderating variable at State Owned Company. International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research & Development, 03(4), 224. http://www.ijasrd.org/in
- Willem, A., Buelens, M., & De Jonghe, I. (2007). Impact of organizational structure on nurses’ job satisfaction: A questionnaire survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 44(6), 1011–1020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.03.013
- Wood, G., Croucher, R., Brewster, C., Collings, D., & Brookes, M. (2009). Varieties of firm: Complementarity and bounded diversity. Journal of Economic Issues, 43(1), 239–258. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEI0021-3624430111
- Yi, Y., Nataraajan, R., & Gong, T. (2011). Customer participation and citizenship behavioral influences on employee performance, satisfaction, commitment, and turnover intention. Journal of Business Research, 64(1), 87–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.12.007