Main Article Content
The paper explores the current condition and the potential development of creative tourism in the context of community-based tourism (CBT) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. A particular context was studied, that is, in the times of COVID-19 pandemic, where its adverse effects were experienced by tourism industry. Based on the research of the current state of creative tourism products in the tourism villages as CBT destinations, the paper aims to identify the factors contributing to the development of creative tourism products in tourism villages based on their cultural and natural assets. The research was conducted in three tourism villages in Yogyakarta by employing observation and interviews with the tourism villages’ managers and community members. Data were analyzed employing content-analysis. Findings of the research show that creative tourism is important for the survivability of tourism villages’ business especially during and post pandemic. Findings also bring in the importance of leadership and entrepreneurship of the tourism villages. Such result contributes to the conceptual understanding of creative tourism development, especially in the context of CBT destinations, to be able to enhance the resilience of tourism villages and to continue prosper the local community.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abbas, J., Mubeen, R., Iorember, P. T., Raza, S., & Mamirkulova, G. (2021). Exploring the impact of COVID-19 on tourism: Transformational potential and implications for a sustainable recovery of the travel and leisure industry. Current Research in Behavioral Sciences, 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.Crbeha.2021.100033
- Asker, S., Boronyak, L., Carrard, N., & Paddon, M. (2010). Effective Community-Based Tourism: A Best Practice Manual. Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research.
- Carvalho, R., Ferreira, A. M., & Figueira, L. M. (2016). Cultural and Creative tourism in Portugal. PASOS: Revista de Turismo y Patrimonio Cultural, 14(5), 1075–1082. https://doi.org/10.25145/j.pasos.2016.14.071.
- Ciolac, R., Iancu, T., Popescu, G., Adamov, T., Feher, A., & Stanciu, S. (2022). Smart Tourism village—An Entrepreneurial Necessity for Maramures Rural Area. Sustainability, 14, 8914. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14148914.
- Cooper, D. R., & Schindler, P. S. (2014). Business Research Method. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- Dewi, I. J., Ismulyati, S., & Ginting, G. (2022). High-Value Experience, High-Value Market Segments, and Sustainability Principles in Quality Tourism: Case Studies on Community-based 9-Tourism Destinations in Indonesia. Ilomata International Journal of Management, 3(4), 438–459. https://doi.org/10.52728/ijjm.v3i4.577.
- Dodds, R., Ali, A., & Galaski, K. (2018). Mobilizing knowledge: Determining key elements for success and pitfalls in developing community-based tourism. Current Issues in Tourism, 21(13), 1547–1568. https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2016.1150257
- Foo, L. P., Chin, M. Y., Tan, K. L., & Phuah, K. T. (2020). The Impact of Covid-19 on Tourism Industry in Malaysia. In Current Issues in Tourism. https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2020.1777951.
- Ginting, G., Dewi, I., & J. (2022). Reformulating A Market-Driven Strategy of Community-Based Tourism Destinations Post-Covid-19 pandemic: Evidence From Indonesia. Ilomata International Journal of Management, 3(3), 298–318. https://doi.org/10.52728/ijjm.v3i1.302.
- Han, H. (2021). Consumer behavior and environmental sustainability in tourism and hospitality: a review of theories, concepts, and latest research. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 29(7), 1021–1042. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2021.1903019
- Han, H., Eom, T., Al-Ansi, A., Ryu, H. B., & Kim, W. (2019). Community-Based Tourism as a Sustainable Direction in Destination Development: An Empirical Examination of Visitor Behaviors. Sustainability, 11. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11092506.
- Howkins, J. (2007). The Creative Economy: How People Make Money from Ideas. Penguin Books.
- Jarábková, J., & Hamada, M. (2012). Creativity and rural tourism. Creative and Knowledge Society/ International Scientific Journal, 2(2), 10 2478 10212–011–0022–4.
- Krajnovic, A., & Gortan-Carlin, I. (2007). Possibilities of music heritage tourist valorization – an example of Istria. Tourism and Hospitality Management, 13(2), 469–482. https://doi.org10.20867/thm.13.2.3.
- López-Guzmán, T., Sánchez-Cañizares, S., & Pavón, V. (2011). Community - Based Tourism in Developing Countries: A Case Study. Tourismos: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism, 6(1), 69–84.
- Morrison, A. M. (2019). Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations. Routledge.
- Murphy, P. E. (1985). Tourism: A Community Approach.
- O.E.C.D. (2014). Tourism and the Creative Economy: OECD Studies on Tourism. OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264207875-en.
- Radosavljevic, D., Josipovic, S., Kokeza, G., & Urosevic, S. (2022). New model of rural development based on human capital and entrepreneurship. Economics of Agriculture, 69(2), 595–611. https://doi:10
- Raymond, C. (2007). Creative Tourism New Zealand: The practical challenges of developing creative tourism. In G. Richards & J. Wilson (Eds.), Tourism, creativity, and development (pp. 145–157). Routledge.
- Richard, G., & Raymond, C. (2000). Creative Tourism. ATLAS News.
- Robinson, J., & Kengatharan, N. (2020). Exploring the effect of Covid-19 on small and medium enterprises: Early Evidence from Srilanka. Journal of Applied Economics & Business Research, 10(2), 115–124.
- Salazar, N. B. (2012). Community-based cultural tourism: Issues, threats and opportunities. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 20(1), 9–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2011.596279
- Sano, H. (2016). Theoretical consideration on creative tourism. Journal of Global Tourism Research, 1(2), 127–132.
- Schmitt, B. H. (1999). Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, Act, Relate to Your Company and Brands. The Free Press.
- Segal, S., & Gerstel, D. (n.d.). The global economic impacts of COVID-19, critical questions. https://www.csis.org/analysis.
- Shofa, J. N. (2021). Igniting Tourism Recovery with Tourism villages. The Jakarta Globe. https://jakartaglobe.id/lifestyle/igniting-tourism-recovery-with-tourist-villages.
- Sobaih, A. E. E., Eisher, I., Hsanein, A. M., & Abdelaziz, A. S. (2021). Responses to COVID-19: The role of performance in the relationship between small hospitality enterprises’ resilience and sustainable tourism development. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102824.
- Stipanović, C., & Rudan, E. (2014). Development concept and strategy for creative tourism of the Kvarner destination [Paper presentation. In Trends in Tourism and Hospitality Industry Congress.
- Stipanović, C., & Rudan, E. (2015). Creative tourism in destination brand identity. International Journal Vallis Aurea, 1(1), 75–83. https://doi.org/10.2507.IJVA.126.96.36.199.
- Stone, L. S., Stone, M. T., Mogomotsi, P. K., & Mogomotsi, G. E. J. (2021). The impacts of Covid-19 on Nature-based Tourism in Botswana: Implications for Community Development’. Tourism Review International, 25, 263–278. https://doi.org/10.3727/154427221X16098837279958.
- Summer, J. (2008). The Tourism and Hospitality Industries Are Changing to Meet the Demands of Experience-Hungry Travelers. The Travel Channels, 25(1), 12–16.
- U.N.W.T.O. (2020). UNWTO Recommendations on tourism and rural development: A guide to making tourism an effective tool for rural development. https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/epdf/10.18111/9789284422173.
- White, M. D., & Marsh, E. (2006). Content Analysis: A Flexible Methodology. Library Trends. https://doi.org/10.1353/lib.2006.0053.
- Whyte, B., Hood, T., & White, B. P. (2012). Cultural and heritage tourism: a handbook for community champions. Federal Provincial Territorial Ministers of Culture and Heritage of Canada.
- Yanes, A., Zielinski, S., Cano, M. D., & Kim, S. I. (2019). Community-Based Tourism in Developing Countries: A Framework for Policy Evaluation. Sustainability, 11(9). https://doi.org/10.3390/su11092506.
- Zadel, Z., & Rudan, E. (2019). In the search for new experiences – the way to creative tourism development. International Journal of Euro-Mediterranean Studies, 12(3), 3–20.