Main Article Content
This study aims to specifically analyze the business environment in the construction service industry in DKI Jakarta, by using an external and internal dimension factor approach. The dimensions of external factors include several indicators such as political, economic, social, and technological indicators. While the internal factor dimensions consist of indicators of corporate culture, corporate structure, and corporate resources. The analysis technique uses Structural Equation Model (SEM) with SmartPLS. The number of samples included 370 leaders of construction service companies in DKI Jakarta. One company is represented by one company leader, either a large, medium or small scale company. The results showed that external factors are more dominant than internal factors in shaping the construction service business environment in DKI Jakarta. It can be understood because as the capital city, DKI Jakarta has a far more complex constellation than other regions. It means that in the case of operating companies in Jakarta, they must be agile in managing external threats and opportunities. Companies that cannot adapt to the very dynamic climate in the capital with the dramatic competition will not be able to survive.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The author sends the manuscript with the understanding that if accepted for publication, the copyright of the article belongs to the author and retains publishing rights without restriction.
Copyright includes the non-exclusive right to reproduce and submit articles in all forms and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilm, and other similar reproductions, as well as translations. Reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in the database and its transmission by all forms of media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopying, recording, magnetic media, etc.
The journal editorial board makes every effort to ensure that no false or misleading data, opinions, or statements are published in the journal. Either way, the contents of articles and advertisements published in journals are the sole and exclusive responsibility of each writer and advertiser.
All articles published Open Access will be immediately and permanently free for everyone to read and download. We are continuously working with our author communities to select the best choice of license options, currently being defined for this journal as follows: Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- (PUPR), K. P. U. dan P. R. Peraturan Menteri (Permen) Pengganti Peraturan Menteri Pekerjaan Umum (PU) No. 7 2011 dan 31 Tahun 2015 tentang Standar dan Pedoman Pengadaan Jasa Konstruksi Melalui Penyedia.
- Abdelkafi, N., & Täuscher, K. (2016). Business Models for Sustainability From a System Dynamics Perspective. Organization and Environment. https://doi.org/10.1177/1086026615592930
- Acıkdilli, G., & Ayhan, Y. D. (2013). Dynamic Capabilities and Entrepreneurial Orientation in the New Product Development. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4(11), 144–150.
- Adeoye, A. O., & Elegunde, A. F. (2012). Impacts of external business environment on organisational performance in the food and beverage industry in Nigeria. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences.
- Alvarez, S. A., & Barney, J. B. (2007). Discovery and creation: Alternative theories of entrepreneurial action. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 1(1‐2), 11–26.
- Amasaka, K. (2013). The Development of a Total Quality Management System for Transforming Technology into Effective Management Strategy. International Journal of Management, 30(2), 610–631.
- Antoncic, B., & Hisrich, R. D. (2001). Intrapreneurship: Construct refinement and cross-cultural validation. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(5), 495–527. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(99)00054-3
- Arogyaswamy, K., Barker, V. L., & Yasai‐Ardekani, M. (1995). Firm Turnarounds: an Integrative Two‐Stage Model. Journal of Management Studies, 32(4), 493–525. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1995.tb00786.x
- Badrinarayanan, V. (2004). ADOPTION OF AN EMERGING TECHNOLOGY: AN EXAMINATION OF THE DIRECT AND COMBINED EFFECTS OF MARKET ORIENTATION AND ENTREPRENEURIAL ORIENTATION. In AMA Winter Educators’ Conference Proceedings.
- Barney, J. B. (2001a). Is the resource-based “view” a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes. Academy of Management Review. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2001.4011938
- Barney, J. B. (2001b). Resource-based theories of competitive advantage : A ten- year retrospective on the resource-based view. Journal of Management, 27, 643–650. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630102700602
- Barney, J. B. (2001c). Resource-based theories of competitive advantage: A ten-year retrospective on the resource-based view. Journal of Management, 27(6), 643–650. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(01)00115-5
- Barquet, A. P., Seidel, J., Seliger, G., & Kohl, H. (2016). Sustainability Factors for PSS Business Models. In Procedia CIRP. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2016.03.021
- Benson, J. K., Pfeffer, J., & Salancik, G. R. (1978). The External Control of Organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392573
- Borchert, O. (2008). Resource-Based Theory: Creating and Sustaining Competitive Advantage. Journal of Marketing Management. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725708x382046
- Brdesee, H., Corbitt, B., & Pittayachawan, S. (2013). Barriers and motivations affecting information systems usage by Hajj-Umrah religious tourism operators in Saudi Arabia. Australasian Journal of Information Systems. https://doi.org/10.3127/ajis.v18i1.809
- Buchory Herry Acmad dan Saladin Djaslim. (2010). Pengaruh People , Physical Evidence , Product , Promotion , Price Dan Place Terhadap Tingkat Kunjungan Di Kafe Coffee Cozies Surabaya. Jurnal Manajemen Pemasaran Petra.
- Cakmak, P. I., & Tas, E. (2012). The use of information technology on gaining competitive advantage in Turkish contractor firms. World Applied Sciences Journal, 18(2), 274–285. https://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.wasj.2012.18.02.744
- Caloghirou, Y., Kastelli, I., & Tsakanikas, A. (2004). Internal capabilities and external knowledge sources: Complements or substitutes for innovative performance? Technovation. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00051-2
- Chang, Y. Y., Hughes, M., & Hotho, S. (2011). Internal and external antecedents of SMEs’ innovation ambidexterity outcomes. Management Decision. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741111183816
- Chawinga, W. D., & Chipeta, G. T. (2017a). A synergy of knowledge management and competitive intelligence. Business Information Review, 34(1), 25–36. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266382116689171
- Chawinga, W. D., & Chipeta, G. T. (2017b). A synergy of knowledge management and competitive intelligence. Business Information Review, 34(1), 25–36. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266382116689171
- Chen, J., He, Y.-B., & Jin, X. (2008). A study on the factors that influence the fitness between technology strategy and corporate strategy. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 5(1), 81–103. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219877008001308
- Chin, W. W. (1998). The Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling. New Jersey: Psychology Press.
- Chuan, C. L. (2006). SAMPLE SIZE ESTIMATION USING KREJCIE AND MORGAN AND COHEN STATISTICAL POWER ANALYSIS: A COMPARISON. Jurnal Penyelidikan IPBL.
- Clargo, P., & Tunstall, R. (2011). Leading an entrepreneurial workforce: development or decline? Education + Training, 53(8/9), 762–783. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911111185071
- Coakes, E., & Smith, P. (2007). Developing communities of innovation by identifying innovation champions. The Learning Organization, 14(1), 74–85. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470710718366
- Covin, J. G., & Slevin, D. P. (1988). THE INFLUENCE OF ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE ON THE UTILITY OF AN ENTREPRENEURIAL TOP MANAGEMENT STYLE. Journal of Management Studies, 25(3), 217–234. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1988.tb00033.x
- Crocitto, M., & Youssef, M. (2003). The human side of organizational agility. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 103(6), 388–397. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570310479963
- de Villiers‐Scheepers, M. J. (2012). Antecedents of strategic corporate entrepreneurship. European Business Review, 24(5), 400–424. https://doi.org/10.1108/09555341211254508
- Dyllick, T., & Hockerts, K. (2017). Beyond the business case for corporate sustainability. In Corporate Environmental Responsibility. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315259277-7
- Fernandes, A. A. R., & Solimun. (2017). Moderating effects orientation and innovation strategy on the effect of uncertainty on the performance of business environment. International Journal of Law and Management, 59(6), 1211–1219. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLMA-10-2016-0088
- Ghozali, I. (2014). SEM Metode Alternatif dengan menggunakan Partial Least Squares (PLS). Semarang: Badan Penerbit Universitas Diponegoro.
- Goold, M., & Campbell, A. (2002). Parenting in complex structures. Long Range Planning, 35(3), 219–243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-6301(02)00052-3
- Govori, A. (2013). Factors affecting the growth and development of SMEs: Experiences from Kosovo. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2013.v4n9p701
- Guiso, L., Sapienza, P., & Zingales, L. (2015). The value of corporate culture. Journal of Financial Economics, 117(1), 60–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2014.05.010
- Gupta, A. (2013). Environmental and pest analysis : An approach to external business environment. International Journal of Modern Social Sciences.
- Heilbrunn, S. (2005). The impact of organizational change on entrepreneurship in community settings. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 12(3), 422–436. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000510612321
- Hidayat, R., Akhmad, S., & Mu’alim. (2015). Effects of environmental factors on corporate strategy and performance of manufacturing industries in Indonesia. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management. https://doi.org/10.3926/jiem.1326
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D., & Hoskisson, R. E. (2012). Strategic management cases: competitiveness and globalization. Cengage Learning.
- Høgevold, N. M., & Svensson, G. (2012). A business sustainability model: A European case study. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858621211197001
- Hoskisson, R. E., Hitt, M. A., Wan, W. P., & Yiu, D. (1999). Theory and research in strategic management: Swings of a pendulum. Journal of Management, 25(3), 417–456. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639902500307
- Hubeis, M., Najib, M., Widyastuti, H., & Wijaya, N. H. (2013). Strategi Produksi Pangan Organik Bernilai Tambah Tinggi yang Berbasis Petani ( A Strategy of Organic Vegetable Production With a Farmer-Based Premium Price ). Jurnal Ilmu Pertanian Indonesia.
- Ireland, R. D., Covin, J. G., & Kuratko, D. F. (2009). Conceptualizing corporate entrepreneurship strategy. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 33(1), 19–46. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2008.00279.x
- J. K., N., W. J., O., D., K., & F. M., K. (2016). Does External Environment Influence Organizational Performance? The Case of Kenyan State Corporations. Management and Organizational Studies. https://doi.org/10.5430/mos.v3n3p41
- Kang, M. S., Moretti, R., & Park, S. K. (2016a). A study on entrepreneurship in korea & china: Comparisons among smes business performance in Korea & China. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 10(11), 361–376. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijseia.2016.10.11.29
- Kang, M. S., Moretti, R., & Park, S. K. (2016b). A study on entrepreneurship in korea & china: Comparisons among smes business performance in Korea & China. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 10(11), 361–376. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijseia.2016.10.11.29
- Kim, S., Lee, J., & Yu, K. (2004). Corporate culture and organizational performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology Journal of Managerial Psychology Iss Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 19(1), 340–359. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940410537927
- Kim, S., Lee, J., Yu, K., Kim Jean Lee, S., & Yu, K. (2004). Corporate culture and organizational performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 19(1), 340–359. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940410537927
- Kleine, A., & von Hauff, M. (2009a). Sustainability-driven implementation of corporate social responsibility: Application of the integrative sustainability triangle. Journal of Business Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-009-0212-z
- Kleine, A., & von Hauff, M. (2009b). Sustainability-driven implementation of corporate social responsibility: Application of the integrative sustainability triangle. Journal of Business Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-009-0212-z
- Knight, D., Pearce, C. L., Smith, K. G., Olian, J. D., Sims, H. P., Smith, K. A., & Flood, P. (1999). Top management team diversity, group process, and strategic consensus. Strategic Management Journal, 20(5), 445–465. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199905)20:5<445::AID-SMJ27>3.0.CO;2-V
- Ko, W. W., & Liu, G. (2017). Environmental Strategy and Competitive Advantage: The Role of Small- and Medium-Sized enterprises’ Dynamic Capabilities. Business Strategy and the Environment, 26(5), 584–596. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.1938
- Koufteros, X., Vonderembse, M., & Jayaram, J. (2005). Internal and external integration for product development: The contingency effects of uncertainty, equivocality, and platform strategy. Decision Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2005.00067.x
- Lumpkin, G. T., & Dess, G. G. (2001). Linking two dimensions of entrepreneurial orientation to firm performance: The moderating role of environment and industry life cycle. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(5), 429–451. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(00)00048-3
- Morioka, S. N., & de Carvalho, M. M. (2016). A systematic literature review towards a conceptual framework for integrating sustainability performance into business. Journal of Cleaner Production. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.01.104
- Moynihan, D. P., & Pandey, S. K. (2005). Testing how management matters in an era of government by performance management. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/mui016
- Nenzhelele, T. E., & Pellissier, R. (2014). Competitive Intelligence Implementation Challenges of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(16), 92–99. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n16p92
- Ong, J. W., & Ismail, H. B. (2013). Personality traits and firm performance: The mediating effect of competitive advantage. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 19(3), 362–378. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJESB.2013.055308
- Osarenkhoe, A. (2010). A coopetition strategy – a study of inter‐firm dynamics between competition and cooperation. Business Strategy Series, 11(6), 343–362. https://doi.org/10.1108/17515631011093052
- Paik, J. H., Kim, M. K., & Park, J. H. (2017). The antecedents and consequences of technology standardizations in Korean IT small and medium-sized enterprises. Information Technology and Management, 18(4), 293–304. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10799-016-0268-2
- Permana, E., Maulina, E., Purnomo, M., Qosasi, A., & Miftahuddin, A. (2019). The Impact Of Information Technology Capability to A Company Agility. https://doi.org/10.4108/eai.8-12-2018.2284040
- Porter, M. E. (2008). Strategy Strategy the Five Competitive. Harvard Business Review, 86(January), 78–94. https://doi.org/Article
- Prahalad, C. K., & Hamel, G. (1990). The Core Competencies of the Corporation. Harvard Business Review, 68(3), 79–91. https://doi.org/100-003-757
- Qosasi, A., Maulina, E., Purnomo, M., Muftiadi, A., Permana, E., & Febrian, F. (2019). The impact of Information and Communication Technology capability on the competitive advantage of small businesses. International Journal of Technology. https://doi.org/10.14716/ijtech.v10i1.2332
- Reitz, H. J. (1979). The External Control of Organizations: A Resource Dependence Perspective. Academy of Management Review. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1979.4289039
- Ringle, C. M., & Wende, S. Will, A. (2005). SmartPLS 2.0.
- Rundh, B. (2009). Packaging design: Creating competitive advantage with product packaging. British Food Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700910992880
- Sambamurthy, Bharadwaj, & Grover. (2003). Shaping Agility through Digital Options: Reconceptualizing the Role of Information Technology in Contemporary Firms. MIS Quarterly, 27(2), 237. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036530
- Schaltegger, S., & Wagner, M. (2011). Sustainable entrepreneurship and sustainability innovation: Categories and interactions. Business Strategy and the Environment. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.682
- Shiamwama, S. M., Ombayo, J. A., & Mukolwe, M. S. (2014). Internal Factors Affecting the Performance of Businesses of Retirees in Kakamega Municipality. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology.
- Shirokova, G., Vega, G., & Sokolova, L. (2013). Performance of Russian SMEs: exploration, exploitation and strategic entrepreneurship. Critical Perspectives on International Business, 9(1/2), 173–203. https://doi.org/10.1108/17422041311299941
- Suwandej, N. (2015). Factors Influencing Total Quality Management. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 197, 2215–2222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.07.361
- Tachiki, D. S. (2014). ICT and corporate structure: The diffusion of e-commerce across Japanese companies. In Competitiveness of New Industries: Institutional Framework and Learning in Information Technology in Japan, the U.S and Germany (pp. 155–179). https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203963609
- Tajeddini, K., Elg, U., & Trueman, M. (2013). Efficiency and effectiveness of small retailers: The role of customer and entrepreneurial orientation. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 20(5), 453–462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2013.05.004
- Tassal sustainability report. (2014). Sustainability Report 2014. Tassal.
- Teece, D. J. (2012). Dynamic Capabilities: Routines versus Entrepreneurial Action. Journal of Management Studies. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2012.01080.x
- Tenenhaus, M., & Esposito, V. (2005). PLS path modeling. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 48, 159–205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005
- Tennant, S., & Fernie, S. (2013). Organizational learning in construction supply chains. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 20(1), 83–98. https://doi.org/10.1108/09699981311288691
- Thind, R., & Thind, R. (2018). The business environment. In Strategic Fashion Management. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315160344-2
- Wang, H.-L. (2014). Theories for competitive advantage. Being Practical with Theory: A Window into Business Research, 33–43.
- Weerawardena, J., & Mavondo, F. T. (2011). Capabilities, innovation and competitive advantage. Industrial Marketing Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.10.012
- Weerawardena, J., McDonald, R. E., & Mort, G. S. (2010). Sustainability of nonprofit organizations: An empirical investigation. Journal of World Business. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2009.08.004
- Wen-Cheng, W., Chien-Hung, L., & Ying-Chien, C. (2011). Types of Competitive Advantage and Analysis. International Journal of Business and Management. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v6n5p100
- Wetzels, M., Odekerken-Schroder, G., & van Oppen, C. (2009). Using PLS Path Modelling for Assessing Hierarchical Construct Models: Guidelines and Empirical Illustration. Management Information Systems Research Center, 33(1), 177–195.
- Wheelen, T., & Hunger, J. (2012). Strategic Management and Business Policy. Policy. Retrieved from http://books.google.com/books?id=J8YGhhK5keUC&pgis=1
- Yang, L., & Wang, D. (2014). The impacts of top management team characteristics on entrepreneurial strategic orientation: The moderating effects of industrial environment and corporate ownership. Management Decision (Vol. 52). https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-03-2013-0140