Main Article Content
This study aimed to analyze the effects of the agricultural sector and the Foreign Direct Investment (hereinafter referred to as FDI) on tax revenue in The Next Eleven (N-11) countries. In this research, a moderating variable of regulatory quality was used. The data were obtained from the World Bank and analyzed using panel data regression. The dependent variable in this study was tax revenue, whereas the independent variables comprised the agricultural sector, the FDI, the agricultural sector moderated by regulatory quality, the FDI moderated by regulatory quality, and the regulatory quality. The results indicate that all independent variables simultaneously affect tax revenue. However, when investigating partially, FDI, the agricultural sector moderated by regulatory quality, and regulatory quality have a positive effect on tax revenue while FDI moderated by regulatory quality shows a negative effect on tax revenue. As for the agricultural variable, a significant effect on tax revenue was not shown. It is recommended that governments in N-11 countries focus on developing quality regulations in another sector, particularly agriculture, and encourage foreign investments since these two aspects are proven to increase tax revenue.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Ajaz, T., & Ahmad, E. (2010). The Effect of Corruption and Governance on Tax Revenues. The Pakistan Development Review, 49, 405–417. https://doi.org/10.2307/41428665
- Aldaba, R. M., & Quejada, A. D. (2022). FDI Spillover Effects: Evidence from the Philippines. Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia.
- Aslam, A. L. M. (2015, March 4). A case study of Cointegration relationship between tax revenue and foreign direct investment. Faculty of Islamic Studies and Arabic Language, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka. Retrieved from http://ir.lib.seu.ac.lk/handle/123456789/878
- Asmah, E. E., Kwaw Andoh, F., & Titriku, E. (2020). Trade misinvoicing effects on tax revenue in sub‐Saharan Africa: The role of tax holidays and regulatory quality. Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, 91(4), 649–672. https://doi.org/10.1111/apce.12289
- Azadi, H., & Barati, A. A. (2013). Agricultural land conversion drivers in Northeast Iran. The Land Deal Politics Initiative, Working Paper, 36.
- Balıkçıoğlu, E., Dalgıç, B., & Fazlıoğlu, B. (2016). Does Foreign Capital Increase Tax Revenue: The Turkish Case. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 6(2), 776–781.
- Baltagi, B. H. (2021). Econometric Analysis of Panel Data. Cham: Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-53953-5
- Baltagi, B. H., & Wu, P. X. (1999). Unequally Spaced Panel Data Regressions with AR(1) Disturbances. Econometric Theory, 15(6), 814–823. JSTOR. Retrieved from JSTOR.
- Bird, R. M., Martinez-Vazquez, J., & Torgler, B. (2005). Societal Institutions and Tax Effort in Developing Countries. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.662081
- Briones, R. M. (2021). Philippine Agriculture: Current State, Challenges, and Ways Forward. Retrieved from https://www.pids.gov.ph/publication/policy-notes/philippine-agriculture-current-state-challenges-and-ways-forward
- Camara, A. (2023). The Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Tax Revenue. Comparative Economic Studies, 65(1), 168–190. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41294-022-00195-2
- Cao, K. H., & Birchenall, J. A. (2013). Agricultural productivity, structural change, and economic growth in post-reform China. Journal of Development Economics, 104, 165–180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2013.06.001
- Cetinkaya, V., & Marquez, P. V. (2017). Tobacco taxation in Turkey.
- Chaudhry, I. S., & Munir, F. (2010). Determinants of low tax revenue in Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences, 30(2), 439–452.
- Chelliah, R. J., Baas, H. J., & Kelly, M. R. (1975). Tax Ratios and Tax Effort in Developing Countries, 1969-71. Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund, 22(1), 187. https://doi.org/10.2307/3866592
- Clark, C. (1967). The conditions of economic progress. The Conditions of Economic Progress.
- D’Agostino, R. B., Belanger, A., & D’Agostino, R. B., Jr. (1990). A Suggestion for Using Powerful and Informative Tests of Normality. The American Statistician, 44(4), 316. https://doi.org/10.2307/2684359
- Davis, M. (2022, March 17). Government Regulations: Do They Help Businesses? Retrieved April 19, 2023, from Investopedia website: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/11/government-regulations.asp
- El-Ramady, H. R., El-Marsafawy, S. M., & Lewis, L. N. (2013). Sustainable agriculture and climate changes in Egypt. Sustainable Agriculture Reviews: Volume 12, 41–95.
- Eltony, M. N. (2002). The Determinants of Tax Effort in Arab Countries.
- FAO. (2018). Country factsheet on small holder family farms: NIGERIA. FAO. Retrieved from https://www.fao.org/documents/card/en?details=I9930EN%2f
- Ferdous, Z., Zulfiqar, F., Datta, A., Hasan, A. K., & Sarker, A. (2021). Potential and challenges of organic agriculture in Bangladesh: A review. Journal of Crop Improvement, 35(3), 403–426. https://doi.org/10.1080/15427528.2020.1824951
- Frost, J. (2019). Regression analysis: An intuitive guide for using and interpreting linear models. Pennsylvania, U.S.A.: Statisics By Jim Publishing.
- Gaspareniene, L., Kliestik, T., Sivickiene, R., Remeikiene, R., & Endrijaitis, M. (2022). Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Tax Revenue: The Case of the European Union. Journal of Competitiveness, 14(1), 43–60. https://doi.org/10.7441/joc.2022.01.03
- Ghura, D. (1998). Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa: Effects of Economic Policies and Corruption. IMF Working Papers, 98(135), 1. https://doi.org/10.5089/9781451855685.001
- Giray, H. (2012). Turkish agriculture at a glance. J Food, Agric Environ, 10, 292–295.
- Gnangnon, S. K. (2017). Impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows on non-resource tax and corporate tax revenue. Economics Bulletin, 37(4), 2890–2904.
- Gopalan, S., Hattari, R., & Rajan, R. S. (2016). Understanding foreign direct investment in Indonesia. Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, 15(1), 28–50. https://doi.org/10.1108/JITLP-01-2016-0003
- Gujarati, D. N. (2022). Basic econometrics. Prentice Hall.
- Gupta, A. S. (2007). Determinants of tax revenue efforts in developing countries.
- Hanh, N. P., Van Hùng, Đ., Hoat, N. T., & Trang, D. T. T. (2017). Improving quality of foreign direct investment attraction in Vietnam. International Journal of Quality Innovation, 3(1), 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40887-017-0016-7
- Inriama, M., & Setyowati, M. S. (2020). Pengaruh Pertumbuhan Ekonomi, Foreign Direct Investment dan Tax Rate Terhadap Penerimaan PPh Badan Negara ASEAN. Indonesian Treasury Review: Jurnal Perbendaharaan, Keuangan Negara Dan Kebijakan Publik, 5(4), 325–342. https://doi.org/10.33105/itrev.v5i4.240
- Islam, K. A. (2014). Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bangladesh: Prospects and challenges and its impact on economy. Asian Business Review, 4(1), 24–36.
- Kamaly, A. (2011). Inward FDI in Egypt and its policy context. https://doi.org/10.7916/D8S75Q96
- Ketkar, K. W., Murtuza, A., & Ketkar, S. L. (2005). Impact of corruption on foreign direct investment and tax revenues. Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management, 17(3), 313–341. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBAFM-17-03-2005-B004
- Kim, J. (2016). Economic Effect of Regulatory Reforms in Korea. 한국개발연구원. Retrieved from 한국개발연구원 website: https://doi.org/10.22740/KDI.PS.E.2016.01
- Kim, M. (2015). Productivity spillovers from FDI and the role of domestic firm’s absorptive capacity in South Korean manufacturing industries. Empirical Economics, 48(2), 807–827. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00181-014-0804-z
- Le, T., & Thanh, T. (1995). The Legal Aspects of Foreign Investment in Vietnam. Int’l Trade & Bus. LJ, 1, 45.
- Leuthold, J. H. (1991). Tax shares in developing economies A panel study. Journal of Development Economics, 35(1), 173–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3878(91)90072-4
- Mahdavi, S. (2008). The level and composition of tax revenue in developing countries: Evidence from unbalanced panel data. International Review of Economics & Finance, 17(4), 607–617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2008.01.001
- Minh Ha, N., Tan Minh, P., & Binh, Q. M. Q. (2022). The determinants of tax revenue: A study of Southeast Asia. Cogent Economics & Finance, 10(1), 2026660. https://doi.org/10.1080/23322039.2022.2026660
- Mohamed, W. M. H. (2020). Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Egypt. IOSR Journal of Business and Management.
- Mudambi, R., Navarra, P., & Delios, A. (2013). Government regulation, corruption, and FDI. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 30(2), 487–511. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-012-9311-y
- Mühlen, H., & Escobar, O. (2020). The role of FDI in structural change: Evidence from Mexico. The World Economy, 43(3), 557–585. https://doi.org/10.1111/twec.12879
- Neszmelyi, G. I. (2017). The Main Characteristics of The South Korean Agriculture. Economic and Local Aspects of Rural Development, Szent Istvan University, Budapest, Hungary, 31–43.
- Okey, M. K. N. (2013). Tax revenue effect of foreign direct investment in West Africa. African J. of Economic and Sustainable Development, 2(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.1504/AJESD.2013.053052
- O’Neill, J., Wilson, D., Purushothaman, R., & Stupnytska, A. (2005). Global economics paper no: 134. How Solid Are the BRICs.
- Ortiz-Ospina, E., & Roser, M. (2016). Taxation. Our World in Data. Retrieved from https://ourworldindata.org/taxation
- Osabohien, R., David Awolola, O., Matthew, O., Queen Itua, O., & Elomien, E. (2020). Foreign direct investment inflow and employment in Nigeria. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 17(1), 77–84. https://doi.org/10.21511/imfi.17(1).2020.07
- Oyedele, T. (2016). Guess how many Nigerians pay tax and how our government spends the money. Retrieved from https://pwcnigeria.typepad.com/tax_matters_nigeria/2016/06/guess-how-many-nigerians-pay-tax-and-how-our-government-spends-the-money.html
- Piancastelli, M. (2001). Measuring the Tax Effort of Developed and Developing Countries: Cross Country Panel Data Analysis - 1985/95. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.283758
- Pratomo, A. W. (2020). THE EFFECT OF FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT ON TAX REVENUE IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES. Jurnal BPPK : Badan Pendidikan Dan Pelatihan Keuangan, 13(1), 83–95. https://doi.org/10.48108/jurnalbppk.v13i1.484
- Rafat, M. (2018). The Interactive Relationship between Economic Growth and Foreign Direct Investments (FDI): A VAR Analysis in Iran. Iranian Economic Review, 22(1). https://doi.org/10.22059/ier.2018.65355
- Rehman, A., Jingdong, L., Shahzad, B., Chandio, A. A., Hussain, I., Nabi, G., & Iqbal, M. S. (2015). Economic perspectives of major field crops of Pakistan: An empirical study. Pacific Science Review B: Humanities and Social Sciences, 1(3), 145–158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psrb.2016.09.002
- Rehman, N. U. (2016). FDI and economic growth: Empirical evidence from Pakistan. Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, 32(1), 63–76. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEAS-12-2014-0035
- Rodríguez, V. M. C. (2018). Tax determinants revisited. An unbalanced data panel analysis. Journal of Applied Economics, 21(1), 1–24. https://doi.org/10.1080/15140326.2018.1526867
- Ronaghi, M., Kohansal, M. R., & Ghorbani, M. (2020). The Effects of Agricultural Governance Variables on Iran’s Livestock and Meat Market. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 33(4), 377–394. https://doi.org/10.22067/jead2.v33i4.83167
- Salman, R. T., Sanni, P., Olaniyi, T. A., & Yahaya, K. A. (2022). Governance Transparency of Tax Revenue Performance in West Africa. Business Ethics and Leadership, 6(1), 14–24. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.6(1).14-24.2022
- Sarmento, J. (2016). The determinants of value added tax revenues in the European Union. The European Journal of Management Studies, 21(2), 79–99.
- Stotsky, M. J. G., & WoldeMariam, M. A. (1997). Tax effort in sub-Saharan Africa. International Monetary Fund.
- Syadullah, M. (2015). Governance and Tax Revenue in Asean Countries. Journal of Social and Development Sciences, 6(2), 76–88. https://doi.org/10.22610/jsds.v6i2.845
- Tanzi, V. (1992). Structural factors and tax revenue in developing countries: A decade of evidence. In I. Goldin & L. A. Winters (Eds.), Open Economies (1st ed., pp. 267–285). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511628559.023
- Tanzi, V., & Zee, H. (2001). Economic Issues No. 27—Tax Policy for Developing Countries. Retrieved May 12, 2023, from IMF website: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/issues/issues27/
- Temiz, D., & Gökmen, A. (2014). FDI inflow as an international business operation by MNCs and economic growth: An empirical study on Turkey. International Business Review, 23(1), 145–154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2013.03.003
- UNCTAD. (2012). World Investment Report 2012. Retrieved from https://unctad.org/system/files/official-document/wir2012_embargoed_en.pdf
- UNCTAD. (2014). Mexico’s Agriculture Development: Perspectives and Outlook. Retrieved from https://unctad.org/system/files/official-document/ditctncd2012d2_rev1_en.pdf
- WDI - Home. (n.d.). Retrieved April 21, 2023, from https://datatopics.worldbank.org/world-development-indicators/
- Widyawati, R. F. (2017). Analisis keterkaitan sektor pertanian dan pengaruhnya terhadap perekonomian Indonesia (analisis input ouput). Jurnal Economia, 13(1), 14–27.
- Wilson, D., Stupnytska, A., Poddar, T., Bhundia, A., Morra, P., & Ahmed, S. (2007). Global Economics Paper No: 153. Goldman Sachs.
- World Bank. (2016). Transforming Vietnamese Agriculture. https://doi.org/10.1596/24375
- Yaru, M. A., & Raji, A. S. (2022). Corruption, Governance and Tax Revenue Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa. African Journal of Economic Review, 10(1), 234–253.
- Yoon, C., Lim, D., & Park, C. (2020). Factors affecting adoption of smart farms: The case of Korea. Computers in Human Behavior, 108, 106309.