Main Article Content
This study addresses a significant issue within Indonesia's income tax policy, focusing on the taxation of fringe benefits and non-monetary compensations. Fringe benefits, being non-monetary rewards granted to employees, have gained prominence in various sectors' remuneration structures. The evolving landscape of in-kind taxation, encompassing natural elements, prompts inquiries into the determinants of tax imposition choices and their equity ramifications. The study aims to explore the income tax perspective on fringe benefits and non-monetary gains, emphasizing the applicability of the matching principle and its implications for equitable taxation. Despite the rising importance of fringe benefits, scholarly discourse on the alignment of conformity principles with in-kind taxes remains sparse. Therefore, this study offers a fresh contribution in comprehending this matter. Employing both a policy analysis and taxation approach, the study draws data from literature, tax statutes, and the latest economic reports. The findings underscore the significance of integrating the conformity principle in the taxation of fringe benefits and non-monetary rewards. This integration can augment the efficiency and transparency of state financial management, curbing detrimental tax avoidance practices that undercut state revenue. In summary, this study validates that adopting the conformity principle in taxing fringe benefits and non-monetary gains holds the potential to bolster state revenue and enhance fiscal management efficiency. The research's implications can guide policy makers in refining the national tax framework and fostering equitable taxation in Indonesia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Argente, D., & García, J. L. (2015). The price of fringe benefits when formal and informal labor markets coexist. IZA Journal of Labor Economics, 4(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40172-014-0014-0
- Avram, S., & Popova, D. (2022). Do taxes and transfers reduce gender income inequality? Evidence from eight European welfare states. Social Science Research, 102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2021.102644
- Barid, F. M., & Wulandari, S. (2021). Praktik Penghindaran Pajak Sebelum dan Setelah Pandemi Covid – 19 di Indonesia. Jurnal Riset Akuntansi & Perpajakan (JRAP), 8(02), 68–74. https://doi.org/10.35838/jrap.2021.008.02.17
- Butler, C., & Calcott, P. (2018). Optimal fringe benefit taxes: the implications of business use. International Tax and Public Finance, 25(3), 654–672. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10797-017-9469-9
- Crocker, M., Milte, R., Duff, G., Lawless, M., Corlis, M., & Ratcliffe, J. (2022). Are Australians willing to pay more tax to support wage increases for aged care workers? Findings from a national survey. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 41(4), 513–521. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajag.13094
- Downs, A., & Stetson, B. (2014a). Economic and Non-Economic Factors: An Analysis of Corporate Tax Compliance. In Advances in Taxation (Vol. 21, pp. 37–72). Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1058-749720140000021002
- Downs, A., & Stetson, B. (2014b). Economic and Non-Economic Factors: An Analysis of Corporate Tax Compliance. In Advances in Taxation (Vol. 21, pp. 37–72). Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1058-749720140000021002
- Eichner, T., & Pethig, R. (2018). Self-enforcing capital tax coordination. Journal of Business Economics, 88(7–8), 915–940. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11573-018-0895-7
- Firmansyah, R. A., & Wijaya, S. (2022). Natura dan Kenikmatan Sebelum dan Sesudah Undang-Undang Harmonisasi Peraturan Perpajakan. Jurnal Pajak Dan Keuangan Negara.
- Hsu, A., & Liu, S. (2023a). The effect of book-tax conformity on the information environment: from the analyst perspective. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11156-023-01160-5
- Hsu, A., & Liu, S. (2023b). The effect of book-tax conformity on the information environment: from the analyst perspective. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11156-023-01160-5
- Iswahyudi, H. (2021). THE PERSISTENT EFFECTS OF COVID-19 ON THE ECONOMY AND FISCAL CAPACITY OF INDONESIA. Jurnal Ekonomi Dan Pembangunan, 29(2), 113–130. https://doi.org/10.14203/jep.29.2.2021.113-130
- Kraemer, R., & Lehtimäki, J. (2023). Government debt, European Institutions and fiscal rules: a synthetic control approach. International Tax and Public Finance. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10797-023-09791-z
- Kuhn, K. M., Meijerink, J., & Keegan, A. (2021). Human Resource Management and the Gig Economy: Challenges and Opportunities at the Intersection between Organizational HR Decision-Makers and Digital Labor Platforms. In M. R. Buckley, A. R. Wheeler, J. E. Baur, & J. R. B. Halbesleben (Eds.), Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management (Vol. 39, pp. 1–46). Emerald Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S0742-730120210000039001
- Lazear, E. P. (2018). Compensation and incentives in the workplace. In Journal of Economic Perspectives (Vol. 32, Issue 3, pp. 195–214). American Economic Association. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.32.3.195
- Lokanan, M. (2023). The morality and tax avoidance: A sentiment and position taking analysis. PLoS ONE, 18(7 July). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0287327
- Maria Pavelea, A., Neamţu, B., Pavel, A., & Nijkamp, P. (2022). Economic Performance and Resilience in Romania: Balancing Traditional and Creative Class Policy Approaches. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12061-022-09450-6
- Min, H. (2022). Assessing the impact of a COVID-19 pandemic on supply chain transformation: an exploratory analysis. Benchmarking. https://doi.org/10.1108/BIJ-04-2022-0260
- Ministry of Finance. (2022). Laporan Keuangan Pemerintah Pusat Tahun 2022. Https://Djpb.Kemenkeu.Go.Id/Portal/Id/Data-Publikasi/Publikasi-Cetak/Laporan-Keuangan-Pemerintah-Pusat-Lkpp.Html.
- Moghavvemi, S., Teng, L. S., & Mahmoud, H. (2023). The Gig Economy Ecosystem. In Reshaping the Future: The Phenomenon of Gig Workers and Knowledge-Economy (pp. 9–32). Emerald Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/978-1-83753-350-320231002
- Nguyen-Hoang, P., & Zhang, P. (2022). CAP AND GAP: THE FISCAL EFFECTS OF PROPERTY TAX LEVY LIMITS IN NEW YORK. Education Finance and Policy, 17(1), 1–26. https://doi.org/10.1162/edfp_a_00327
- Ngwaba, C. A., & Azizi, S. S. (2020). Effectiveness of tax reform on entrepreneurship. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 9(1), 94–111. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEPP-07-2019-0060
- Pang, Y. (2022). A theory of fiscal policy response to an epidemic. Health Economics (United Kingdom), 31(9), 2050–2071. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.4564
- Pu, C., & Syu, H.-F. (2023). Effects of disability on income and income composition. PLoS ONE, 18(5 May). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0286462
- Raihan, A. (2023). An econometric evaluation of the effects of economic growth, energy use, and agricultural value added on carbon dioxide emissions in Vietnam. Asia-Pacific Journal of Regional Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41685-023-00278-7
- R.P. Garcia. (2022). Linear Models for Business and Finance. McGraw-Hill Education.
- Saragih, A. H., Reyhani, Q., Setyowati, M. S., & Hendrawan, A. (2022). The potential of an artificial intelligence (AI) application for the tax administration system’s modernization: the case of Indonesia. Artificial Intelligence and Law. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10506-022-09321-y
- Susila Adiyanta, F. C. (2020). Fleksibilitas Pajak sebagai Instrumen Kebijaksanaan Fiskal untuk Mengantisipasi Krisis Ekonomi sebagai Akibat Dampak Pandemi Covid-19. In Online Administrative Law & Governance Journal (Vol. 2, Issue 1). https://katadata.co.id/berita/2019/05/23/menko-darmin-semua-menderita-akibat-perang-dagang
- Voßmerbäumer, J. (2013). Incentive effects and the income tax treatment of employer-provided workplace benefits. Review of Managerial Science, 7(1), 61–84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11846-011-0074-5
- Yong, S., & Fukofuka, P. (2023). Accounting, tax compliance and New Zealand indigenous entrepreneurs: a Bourdieusian perspective. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 36(5), 1350–1378. https://doi.org/10.1108/AAAJ-12-2017-3273
- Zhao, Y. (2020). The influence and impact of the exchange rate on the economy. E3S Web of Conferences, 214. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202021403007