Main Article Content
Visiting friends and relatives who live in different cities or countries is a trigger for travel. This research aims to describe the travel experiences of informants from Bali when visiting friends and relatives in East Java. Many activities and tourist destinations that can be visited when visiting friends and relatives in different cities. However, due to limited time, energy and costs, priority is needed in determining the itinerary when visiting friends and relatives so as to optimize the benefits obtained. The formulation of the problem in this research is how the travel experiences of informants from Bali when visiting friends and relatives in East Java? The novelty in this research lies in the qualitative way of determining the itinerary of visiting friends and relatives in order to get optimal benefits. This research was conducted with a qualitative approach. Primary data was obtained through interviews and observations of sources from family travelers from Bali who visited friends and relatives in East Java. Secondary data obtained from relevant previous research. Visiting friends and relatives itinerary based on the main goal or priority of the friends and relatives you want to visit. Apart from the city of Surabaya, family travelers from Bali also want to travel to the city of Batu. However, because the top priority is visiting Surabaya, traveling to Batu is done in half a day, and choosing priority tourist destinations.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Augusty, W. R., Wijayanti, W. P., Prayitno, G., Dinanti, D., Subagiyo, A., & Adrianto, D. W. (2023). Strategi Prioritas Pengembangan Desa Sidomulyo sebagai Desa Wisata Pertanian Berkelanjutan di Kota Batu. Jurnal Penelitian Pertanian Terapan, 21(1), 0–1.
- Aulya, R., Mindarti, L. I., & Amin, F. (2016). Strengthening Local Economy Through Community-based Tourism in Governance Perspective (Study at Sidomulyo Tourism Village, Batu City). Jurnal Ad’ministrare, 3(2), 11. https://doi.org/10.26858/ja.v3i2.2424
- Backer, E. (2012). VFR travel: It is underestimated. Tourism Management, 33(1), 74–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2011.01.027
- Backer, E. (2019). VFR travel: Do visits improve or reduce our quality of life? Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 38(xxxx), 161–167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2018.04.004
- Bararatin, K., & Agustin, E. (2015). Revitalization Strategy of Kembang Jepun Surabaya in Supporting Sustainable Urban Development. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 179, 70–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.02.411
- Barnett, E. D., MacPherson, D. W., Stauffer, W. M., Loutan, L., Hatz, C. F., Matteelli, A., & Behrens, R. H. (2010). The visiting friends or relatives traveler in the 21st century: Time for a new definition. Journal of Travel Medicine, 17(3), 163–170. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8305.2010.00411.x
- Budiarto, A. S., Indriastjario, & Sardjono, A. B. (2016). The Urban Heritage of Masjid Sunan Ampel Surabaya, toward the Intelligent Urbanism Development. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 227(November 2015), 601–608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.06.121
- Capistrano, R. C. G. (2012). Visiting Friends and Relatives (Vfr) Travel, Host-Guest Interactions and Qualitative Research: Methodological and Ethical Implications. 4th Asia-Euro Conference 2012 in Tourism, Hospitality & Gastronomy, 2(1), 1–8.
- Chan, C. S., Pikkemaat, B., Agapito, D., & Zhou, Q. (2022). The connection between VFR experience based and sociocultural dimensions of international students and mainland Chinese students. International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, 16(1), 276–293. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCTHR-03-2021-0063
- Currie, R. R., Wesley, F., & Sutherland, P. (2008). Going where the Joneses go: Understanding how others influence travel decision-making. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 2(1), 12–24. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506180810856112
- Dutt, C. S., & Ninov, I. (2017). Expatriates’ learning: The role of VFR tourism. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 31, 253–264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2017.03.003
- Dwyer, L., Seetaram, N., Forsyth, P., & King, B. (2014). Is the migration-tourism relationship only about VFR? Annals of Tourism Research, 46, 130–143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2014.03.009
- Griffin, T., & Dimanche, F. (2017). Urban tourism: the growing role of VFR and immigration. Journal of Tourism Futures, 3(2), 103–113. https://doi.org/10.1108/JTF-10-2016-0036
- Griffin, T., & Nunkoo, R. (2016). Paid accommodation use of international VFR multi-destination travellers. Tourism Review, 71(2), 90–104. https://doi.org/10.1108/TR-09-2015-0041
- Hendel-Paterson, B., & Swanson, S. J. (2011). Pediatric travelers visiting friends and relatives (VFR) abroad: Illnesses, barriers and pre-travel recommendations. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease, 9(4), 192–203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmaid.2010.09.007
- Hidayatullah, S., Rachmawati, I. K., & Khouroh, U. (2017). The Effectivity of “ Pokdarwis ” Role on Successfully Marketing of Tourism Village Towards “ Mega Tourism : Batu City For The World .” International Conference “Sustainable Development Goals 2030 Challenges and Its Solutions", August, 978–979. http://jurnal.unmer.ac.id/index.php/sdgs/article/view/1849
- Idajati, H. (2014). Cultural and Tourism Planning as Tool for City Revitalization The Case Study of Kalimas River, Surabaya-indonesia. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 135, 136–141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.07.337
- Kashiwagi, S., Nagai, H., & Furutani, T. (2020). Expanding the concept of the VFR market: Excavating ‘hidden VFR travellers.’ Tourism Management Perspectives, 33(November 2019), 100610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2019.100610
- Kashiwagi, S., Nagai, H., & Furutani, T. (2023). Understanding challenges faced by VFR hosts: A study of Japanese migrant hosts in Australia. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 54(January 2022), 306–315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2023.01.004
- Kurnianto, A. S., Wafa, I. Y., Alifianto, F., & Kurniawan, N. (2016). The Potential of Butterflies in Tourism Diversification Product: Case Study at Coban Rais Waterfall, Batu, East Java. Journal of Indonesian Tourism and Development Studies, 4(3), 115–122. https://doi.org/10.21776/ub.jitode.2016.004.03.04
- Müri, F., & Sägesser, A. (2003). Is VFR an independent target group? The case of Switzerland. Tourism Review, 58(4), 28–34. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb058421
- Ratuloly, R., Rifa, M., & Hardianto, W. T. (2023). One Village One Development : A Government Concept in the Development of the Tourism Sector in Batu City One Village One Development : Sebuah Konsep Pemerintah Dalam Pengembangan Sektor Pariwisata Di Kota Batu. 11(1), 38–47. https://doi.org/10.21070/jkmp.v11i1.1739
- Setiawati, R., & Jasmin, A. S. (2020). Pose Strategy As a Media for Tourism Destination Promotion in Batu City, East Java. Journal of Indonesia Tourism and Policy Studies, 5(1), 33–47. https://doi.org/10.7454/jitps.v5i1.173
- Shani, A., & Uriely, N. (2012). VFR tourism. The Host Experience. Annals of Tourism Research, 39(1), 421–440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2011.07.003
- Tran, M. N. D., Moore, K., & Shone, M. C. (2018). Interactive mobilities: Conceptualising VFR tourism of international students. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 35(April), 85–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2018.04.002
- Tran, M. N. D., Moore, K., & Steel, G. (2020). VFR tourism and intersecting global mobilities: Experiences of international PhD students in new Zealand. Tourism Management Perspectives, 35(November 2019), 100681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2020.100681
- Uriely, N. (2010). “Home” and “away” in VFR tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 37(3), 854–857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2010.02.006
- Wahyudi, S. T. (2018). The Economic Valuation of Tourism Sector and Poverty Reduction in Kota Batu: Travel Cost Method (TCM) Approach. Publikasiilmiah.Ums.Ac.Id, 527–534. https://publikasiilmiah.ums.ac.id/bitstream/handle/11617/11814/52.pdf?sequence=1
- Yousuf, M., & Backer, E. (2015). A content analysis of Visiting Friends and Relatives (VFR) travel research. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 25, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2015.07.003
- Zurinani, S., Rodiyah, N., Prastyo, D. T., & Zuhri, M. Y. A. (2019). Development Strategy of Brau Edufarm Tourism in Batu. Journal of Indonesian Tourism and Development Studies, 7(2), 100–110. https://doi.org/10.21776/ub.jitode.2019.07.02.06